Miha ZUPAN (SLO) - Basketball
Winner with 60 points
Born 13 SEP 1982 in Slovenia. Miha was selected to be on the Slovenia national basketball team and participated in the recent 2010 FIBA World Basketball Championships in Turkey. His team reached to Quarterfinals and placed 8th, which was a huge success for his country. He was a reserved player early on and became a power forward starter for the remaining of the Championships. Miha received a professional contract for two years with the St. Petersburg in the SuperLeague A in Russia and will also play in Europe Cup ULEB this season.
Andriy ZURGALIDZE (UKR) – Swimming
Finalist with 30 points
Born 20 APR 1981 in Ukraine. Andriy’s achievements include the European Swimming Championships which earned him 3 Gold medals and 2 Silver medals.
- 50m, 100m, 200m Breaststroke - Gold
- 400m Individual Medley - Silver
- 4x100m Medley Relay - Silver
Mario KARGL (AUT) – Tennis
Finalist with 26 points
Born 14 MAY 1986 in Rottenmann, Austria. Mario is still the best summer athlete in Austria. He plays tournaments for Austrian Tennis Association and at the moment he is ranked 103 in the Austrian ranking list (hearing). Mario won all competitions by the Deaf Tennis Open in Las Vegas in July 2010 for Single, Double and Mixed. Mario is in training 6 times a week and plays up to 7 hearing tournaments a month. He is considered as a Top athlete from the Austrian Government. Next year he will attend the Dresse and Maere Cup in Turkey and his goal is to defend his title from 2007 in Germany.
Mario was the champion in Men Singles against Gabor Mathe with 4:6/6:0/10:6 and champion Men Doubles with Gabor Mathe (HUN) against Galvez (PER)/Giuffrida(USA) with 6:4/6:4 and champion Mixed Doubles with Beatriz Villamandos-Lorenzo (ESP) against Fleckenstein/Breitenberger (GER) with 6:2/4:6/10:4
Phil GOLDBERG (GER) – Swimming
Finalist with 20 points
Born 4 JUN 1987 in Germany. Phil’s accomplishments included his participation at the European Swimming Championship where he earned 3 Gold medals, 1 Silver medal, and 2 Bronze medals.
- 50m, 100m, 200m Backstroke – Gold
- 4x200m Freestyle Relay – Silver
- 4x100m Freestyle Relay and 4x100m Medley Relay - Bronze
Joshua HEMBROUGH (USA) – Athletics
Finalist with 20 points
Born 3 JUN 1988 in Florida, United States. Joshua broke his own World Record with a time of 14.04 on 24 April. He had a wind aided time of 13.95 at the Purdue Invitational last mid-April. Josh had an injury plagued season. He has one more year of eligibility left.
Anna TOVSTA (UKR) – Ukraine
Winner with 45 points
Born 15 DEC 1991 in Ukraine. Anna's achievement includes six (6) gold and one silver in swimming at the recent 10th European Deaf Swimming Championships in Dortmund, Germany. Her results had also brought her four (4) European Championships records. Anna's accomplishments are listed as below:
- 200m Freestyle - 2:12.15 - Gold
- 400m Freestyle - 4:37.44 - Gold (European Championships Record)
- 800m Freestyle - 9:34.76 - Gold (European Championships Record)
- 4x100m Freestyle Relay - 4:06.66 - Gold
- 4x200m Freestyle Relay - 9:04.83 - Gold (European Championships Record)
- 4x100m Medley Relay - 4:38.12 - Gold (European Championships Record)
- 200m Butterfly - 2:37.91 - Silver
Tereza KMOCHOVA (CZE) – Alpine Skiing
Finalist with 36 points
Born 26 SEP 1990 in Czech Republic. Tereza achieved 37th place in Slalom at the FIS Junior World Cup in France. She participated in the women slalom at FIS races in Germany and placed 5th. For Ladies/Junior race at Jasna/Slovakia she came in 2nd place and placed 2nd in Giant Slalom in Slovenia. She has outstanding performances. She participated in 30 competitions during the year of 2010.
Ivana KRISTOFICOVA (SVK) – Athletics
Finalist with 29 points
Born 24 MAY 1990 in Bratislava, Slovakia. Ivana has a long list of accomplishments in 2010 which is listed here:
- Slovak National Athletics Championships – Shot Put 12.08; 2nd place
- Istropolitana Indoor 2010 – Shot Put 13.30; 1st place
- Czech Athletics Championships for the Deaf with International participation- Shot Put 12.95; 1st place
- Grand Prix Meeting- Shot Put 13.39; 1st place
- 2nd European Team Championships (Belgrad SRB) – Shot Put 13.47; 5th place
- Slovak National Athletics Championships – Shot Put 13.74; 1st place
- Grand Prix Summer Meeting – Shot Put 13.48; 1st place
- Grand Prix Meeting – Shot Put 13.59; 1st place
- European Athletics – 8th Athletics bridge – Shot Put 14.47; 6th place
- Team Slovak National Athletics Championship – Shot Put 14.51 1st place
Jarmila GUPTA (GER) – Swimming
Finalist with 24 points
Born 21 APR 1994 in Germany. Jarmila participated in the European Swimming Championships in June 2010 and her achievements includes 2 Gold medals, 2 Silver medals, and 3 Bronze medals.
- 200m Butterfly and 400m Individual Medley – Gold
- 200m Individual Medley and 100m Butterfly – Silver
- 400m Freestyle, 800m Freestyle, and 200m Breaststroke - Bronze
Chiu-Mei HO (TPE) – Tennis
Finalist with 22 points
Born 10 SEP 1962 in Chinese Taipei. Chiu-Mei has been playing tennis all of her life and first participated in the sport of Deaf Tennis in 2007. Her achievements in 2010 include participating in the 2010 US Deaf Tennis Open where she placed 1st for Women Single and placed 2nd for Women Doubles. She is currently ranked 3rd in the Women Singles in the World of Deaf Tennis.
Chiu-Mei participated in the 2010 US Deaf Tennis Open and was the Champion in Women Singles against Beatriz Villamandos-Lorenzo (ESP) with score of 6:2/6:2 and a runner up in Women Doubles with Sha (TPE) against Beatriz and Raquel Villamandos-Lorenzo (ESP) with 4:6/0:6